The muzzle concept is the core of Morton/Method. A Working Canine must do a full mission profile in a muzzle. A full mission profile is detection/article work in all areas: tracking suspects, locating suspects in building search, and bite to detection transitions. A full mission profile means all areas are conducted in uninterrupted succession. A full mission profile isn’t spread out over 4-5 days. Canine certification link:http://www.caninetactical.com/categories/handler-certification/
“You can’t just have the sight picture of muzzle=fight. We need muzzle=neutral.”
Accomplishing this starts at the foundation, building of the canine at 4 or 5 months of age. In this newsletter I explain the intro to muzzle (building the fight), but keep in mind, the canines are worked in muzzle neutralization before the method below is introduced.
Define intro to muzzle: This is part of the Morton/Method that we produce: building the fight in the canine, train how to muzzle fight and eliminating the equipment. If done properly with good decoy work and the canine has the right drives, it should only take a maximum of two, five minute sessions (if properly introduced) when it is understood by the canine.
At 6 months of age all clones onsite had the following introductions in: puppy sleeve arm, leg location, and detection work, including basic hides. Even at 6 months, with their high fight drive, I still implemented intro to muzzle. This sight picture at acquiring the target, without equipment, is paramount at this age. The videos below are Eudoris®1, Eudoris®3 and Eudoris®4. This is the first intro to muzzle applied. You will notice every session with each canine was different. Eudoris®1 – small puppy sleeve exposed throughout entire session, Eudoris®4 – half the session, and Eudoris®3 – sleeve wasn’t exposed. Either way, even without the sleeve, we would have seen the results below and the only introduction of muzzle has been off duty until this point.
I imprinted basic tracking at 6 months. Because of the style of hunt in the Eudoris® Brand, I knew this would be an easy task. The video below shows the first tracks for Eudoris® 1 and 3. Eudoris®4 I implemented article search and was not recorded.
Note: Eudoris®1 – ball reward; Eudoris®3 – civil at end on his first track.
Eudoris®2 update: I do feel I kept the clones too long in the pack style. Even though Eudoris®2 was #2 in the order, but after some time he became a little more timid during bite training and his recover time became longer and longer. This behavior was observed at 4/5 months of age and at 6 months of age I decided to put bite training on hold. No pressure will be put on him in the bite aspect until 1.5 yrs to 2 yrs of age. Explosive detection was continued.
“Every evolution with these clones is data. The ultimate goal is to figure out what training style creates the personality of the Premier Working Canine.”
At this point, of the 4 Eudoris® clones on scene, 3 are ready for a Basic Working Canine Course at 8 months of age. They are working all areas of the Morton/Method effectively. I understand the clones are still developing mentally and physically and we are at the borderline of “Don’t Do” text book mythology of Puppy Development. I believe the clone puppies are operating on DNA memory and are genetically a 4 year old k9. Out of the box thinking must be applied.
NEXT MONTH NEWSLETTER, QUICK GRAB: At 9 months of age we’re prepping Eudoris®1 and 3 for the streets.
CANINE TACTICAL NEWS UPDATE
• CANINE TACTICAL’S FIRST PODCAST WITH WARRIOR MINDSET. http://www.caninetactical.com/categories/media/warrior-mindset.php
• CANINE TACTICAL’S SECOND PODCAST WITH WARRIOR MINDSET.http://www.caninetactical.com/categories/media/warrior-mindset.php
• LASTEST PRODUCT UPDATE: CANINE TACTICAL AND RAY ALLEN ARE GOING TO BE COMING OUT WITH A NEW, ESSENTIAL, PRODUCT THAT EVERY HANDLER IS GOING TO LOVE! KEEP A LOOK OUT.
• PRODUCT UPDATE: THE CUSTOM FIT BALLISTIC HARNESS AND THE MOD 3 NOW COME WITH THE COBRA BUCKLES OPTION 2. NOTICE BUCKLE PLACEMENT, ONCE AGAIN, BUYING CANINE TACTICAL PRODUCTS, GIVES THE CUSTOMER THE ADVANTAGE OF MY EXPERIENCES. IF YOU’VE NEVER BEEN THERE, THEN TRUST SOMEONE WHO HAS. http://www.caninetactical.com/shop/ballistic-vest-two.php
• CANINE TACTICAL IS CONDUCTING A 3 WEEK ADVANCED K9 COURSE BEGINNING 9APRIL2018.
• CANINE TACTICAL WILL BE ATTENDING THE WORKING DOG CONFERENCE IN ST.LOUIS, MO., JULY 14TH – 16TH, BOOTH #6. CANINE EUDORIS® ACTUAL AND A EUDORIS® CLONE WILL BE PRESENT.
• THE 4TH ANNUAL MASSACHUSETTS CTAC SEMINAR IS JULY 30-31 AND AUG 2 – 3 2018 THE 4TH ANNUAL MASSACHUSETTS K9 SEMINAR IS AUG 6TH, 7TH AND 8TH 2018. DETAILED INFORMATION IN FLYERS BELOW. 4th annual CTAC AND 4th annual
• CANINE TACTICAL WILL ALSO BE ATTENDING HITS 2018 IN WASHINGTON D.C. AUGUST 14 – 17, BOOTH# 135.